Revit 2023 error 1603 | “Install error 1603: Fatal error during installation” while installing Autodesk software with legacy installer
The following are common examples of the 1603 error:
- Setup Logs:
- Install <AutodeskProduct> <Version> Failed Installation aborted, Result=1603.
- Dialog box during installation:
- Error 1603: A fatal error occurred during installation.
- Other Messages:
- Install .NET Framework Runtime 3.0 Failed Failure is ignored, Result=1603.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express(AUTODESKVAULT) Failed Installation aborted, Result=1603.
- Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable (x86) Failed Installation aborted, Result=1603.
Error 1603 is a generic error generated by the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI). This error tends to be system-related, rather than linked to specific software.
To avoid the behavior use the following steps. Keep moving to the next if one does not help:
Clean uninstall and reinstall the Autodesk Desktop Licensing Service
- Make sure you have a copy of the software installer (for step 3) before uninstalling.
- Uninstall the Autodesk Desktop Licensing Service. See: How to uninstall Autodesk Desktop Licensing Service.
- Reinstall the Autodesk Desktop Licensing Service. See: How to download and install Autodesk Desktop Licensing Service.
- Reinstall the application.
Remnants and residual files of previous installs
- Perform a Clean Uninstall to remove any residual files and folders from previous installations. If the software fails to uninstall try using the Microsoft Fixit tool.
- Attempt to install the software again with Download Now option.
Uninstall and Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
See: How to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Libraries from an Autodesk software installation package.
A file is locked and cannot be overwritten
Certain files on the machine are locked, or setup attempts to reboot because of this locked file which leads to a failure. To make sure that a locked file is not causing the error, do the following:
- Close all software running in the background.
- Run the setup again.
Windows TEMP folders are full
The system temp directory is not clean. This is the temp directory that setup extracts files to and runs from. Either the temp directory does not have enough available space, or it has too many files that may conflict with setup files.
Clean the default temp directory and free up hard-disk space by removing unneeded files.
- On the Windows Start menu, enter %TEMP% and press ENTER.
- In the Temp folder, press CTRL+A to select all the files and folders contained in the directory and delete them.
Not enough disk space
Check that there is enough space on the root drive of the machine. Note: Even though the setup can be installed on another drive, it is required that the root drive has twice the space of the setup files (the drive where the Windows operating system is installed on).
Setup files were corrupted during extraction
Exit or turn off conflicting programs, including virus scanners, word processors, spreadsheets, web browsers. Then start the installation again.
Short file name creation is disabled on the target machine
- Enable support for 8.3 name creation— for example, short file names—on the target machine. Navigate to the following registry entry:
- An NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation value of zero (0) enables the short file name creation functionality. A value of one (1) disables this functionality.
- Registry modifications require rebooting the target machine for the change to take effect—do this before attempting to start the setup again.
- Note: The target machine should have short file name creation disabled, it can also be disabled after the install completes by resetting NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to its original value and rebooting again.
User Profile is corrupt
Create new Windows user profile and try installing the software.
As last resort, review the setup log, check to see if the installer is failing on installing multiple components. Example, C++ libraries, .NET, core product This could be an indication a security setting is blocking the installation. Disable your antivirus software and reinstall.