Autodesk on-demand install services | When installing Autodesk products, the installation crashes at the “Preparing for installation…” window without any error message displayed as seen below:
Preparing for installation…
Note: Sometimes an Error Report (CER) dialog window shows up.
Also Note: If using Custom Install from manage.autodesk.com the following error may also occur:
Couldn’t create installer
Retrying might fix download issues. If you see this message after retrying, check
the log file or contact support.
- The Autodesk On-Demand Install Services (AdODIS), which is a new installer framework used for the latest Autodesk products, couldn’t be installed. This can be due to permission restrictions locally on the client PC or when AdODIS tries to update itself from the Autodesk online source.
- Corrupted installation of AdODIS.
Uninstall and reinstall the ODIS component
- Go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AdODIS\V1
- Right-click and select “Run as Administrator” for the RemoveODIS.exe
- Delete the folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ODIS
- Manually install AdODIS:
- Navigate to \<product download folder>\ODIS\.
- Double-click AdODIS-installer.exe to start the installation.
- By default, the installation directory is C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AdODIS\V1. If the following warning occurs, change the folder:
The directory C:\Program Files\Autodesk is not writable by the current user.
- Proceed to install the product.
Launch the Setup.exe using the switch –noupdate to enable the offline mode installation
- Go to Windows Start button.
- Using Run as Administrator, launch Command Prompt.
- Type the following into Command Prompt (corresponding folder and location name to the product that is being installed, example below is for 3ds Max 2021) and press ENTER:
- Type the following and press ENTER.Setup.exe –noupdate
- Validate if the product then installs as intended.
Note: The image above is just an example with the AutoCAD 2022 installer.
Note: If the issue is persistent, switch to a new Windows user account with local admin rights to install the product.
You can See Also:
- Installation hangs on “Preparing for installation…” or ”Preparing…”
- Installation hangs on “Preparing…” while installing an Autodesk product using the New Installation Experience
- What permissions are required for Autodesk software installation